Easy Baked Chilaquiles With Avocado Crema (in 30 Minutes!)
Impress your brunch guests by making this Easy Baked Chilaquiles with Avocado Crema. It’s ready in 30 minutes, packed with veggies, and the perfect healthy brunch.
If you love brunch, raise your hand. ME, I do, THIS GIRL. If Guy Beringer had not come up with the idea of brunch in 1895 (yes, I had to look that up), I’m pretty sure life would be a heck of a whole lot different. I look forward to brunch on the weekends with my family, especially when we go to some of my favorite brunch spots in The Cities like Grand Cafe, Freehouse, and Surly. I know that any meal can bring people together, but there is something about being able to sleep in on the weekends and then getting up to meet some of your favorite people for good food.
When we decided that this month’s round up was going to be a Mexican-themed round up, I instantly thought of developing a chilaquiles recipe. I had recently ordered them at Surly (so damn good) and a friend inspired me to try and make them at home. I’ll be honest, the thought of trying to make chilaquiles myself was a bit frightening. It’s always been something that seemed so mystical and hard. Something you just order out! But, we decided to go for it!
Guess what, IT WORKED. We skipped the part where you make a homemade mole or salsa and went with a salsa that was already made. We love the Trader Joe’s Chunky Salsa, but feel free to use your favorite type of salsa. Turns out there was no reason to be scared of chilaquiles and I plan I making them a lot more often. Check out the recipe yourself by scrolling down and don’t forget to check out the rest of the delicious recipes included in this post by some of my favorite bloggers!
…with Cinco de Mayo right around the corner, you have plenty of options for delicious Mexican-inspired meals.
Easy Baked Chilaquiles with Avocado Crema (in 30 minutes!)>Print Recipe
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Author: Lee Hersh
- Yield: 4
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 16 oz. can chunky salsa
- 1 cup water
- 4 oz. can green chiles
- 1 cup black beans
- 1/2 cup yellow corn
- 5 oz. corn tortilla chips
- 4-6 eggs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 large avocado
- 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons lime juice (~1 medium lime)
- 3 tablespoons water (or more depending on how thin you like it)
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and then heat olive oil in a deep, oven safe skillet over medium/high heat.
- Place onion in the skillet and sauté for 3-5 minutes. Add salsa, water, and green chiles. Bring to a boil and then turn down to medium heat and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add black beans and corn and let cook for 2-3 minutes, then gently fold tortilla chips into the salsa mixture.
- Next, make 4-6 indentations throughout the mixture and crack an egg into each indent.
- Place in oven (uncovered) and bake for 20-25 minutes, depending on how you like your eggs.
- While the chilaquiles are baking, prepare the avocado crema by placing all ingredients into a food processor and blending on high until smooth.
- Serve chilaquiles with avocado crema.
- Serving Size: 1/6
- Calories: 314
- Sugar: 6
- Fat: 16
- Carbohydrates: 31
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 11
Because everyone loves Cinco de Mayo….here’s more Mexican inspired recipes for you to feast on <3
Whole30 Mexican Shakshuka from Food Faith Fitness: This quick and easy, gluten free Shakshuka recipe has a little, spicy Mexican twist! It’s a lower carb, healthy and whole30 compliant dinner or breakfast!
Huevos Rancheros from Lexi’s Clean Kitchen: Looking for the perfect Huevos Rancheros? This classic Mexican breakfast is made with a hearty tomato sauce, homemade refried black beans, topped with the perfect fried egg, and all the fixings! Easy enough for a weekday breakfast and perfect for a festive weekend brunch!
Mexican Avocado Egg Salad Collard Green Wraps from Cotter Crunch: These Mexican avocado egg salad wraps make for a perfect low carb veggie packed lunch! Paleo Avocado Egg Salad seasoned with Mexican spices and jalapeno, then all wrapped up in collard greens! Whole 30 friendly.
>Turkey Chili Pie form Running to the Kitchen:
>Turkey Chili Pie form Running to the Kitchen:This turkey chili pie combines a healthy, leaner turkey chili recipe with a hearty gluten-free cornbread topping, all baked together in one skillet.
Sheet Pan Shrimp Fajitas from Eating Bird Food: These sheet pan shrimp fajitas make for an easy weeknight meal with Mexican flavor. Simply bake your shrimp, peppers and onions together on one sheet, load up your tortillas and enjoy!