Paleo Banana Coconut Waffles
You know what’s a really good idea? Going out of town with some friends and renting a house together for the weekend.
You know what’s a really bad idea? When you’re the first one there and are sitting alone in an unfamiliar dark house starting to wonder if every creaking sound is the sound of someone coming to murder you…
You know what’s a really good idea? Locking all the doors and working on your laptop in the kitchen. After all, if someone is coming to murder me, I should probably be close to the knives…
You know what’s a really bad idea? Apparently, writing this blog post when I’m alone in an empty house in the middle of nowhere. 🙂
But, you know what’s a really GOOD idea? Making these paleo banana coconut waffles!
These paleo banana coconut waffles are my new favorite thing.
Here’s why I love them:
- They’re much lower in carbohydrates and sugar compared to your average waffles, and are sweetened naturally with banana!
- This recipe uses coconut flour as a gluten-free/low-carb alternative to regular flour (plus, it’s waaay cheaper than almond flour).
- They have a moderate amount of protein and fat, making them very filling (which is always one of my breakfast requirements).
- They come together quickly and use common ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen.
I also highly recommend topping these with fresh fruit, a scoop of nut butter, and/or a dollop coconut cream. You can also refrigerate these for up to 5 days, or freeze them for several months.
- 4 medium eggs
- 1 medium banana, mashed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl and whisk.
- Whisk in the mashed banana, vanilla extract, and cinnamon until smooth and there are no apparent lumps.
- Add the coconut flour and whisk until mixture is well-incorporated.
- Oil the waffle maker with coconut oil and heat. Pour in half the batter, close, and cook 5 minutes, or until browned. Open the lid and gently remove the waffle, then transfer to a plate. Pour in the remaining batter and repeat.
- Serve immediately.